MBP #14: Toni Anderson, The Happy Housewife, on How to Build a Rockstar Team to Run Your Blog
What if I told you that you could put into place a system that made it possible for you to leave your blog for several months and it would still be here when you came back?
Take a quick peek at The Happy Housewife. Started by Toni Anderson in 2008, the business is now run on a daily basis by one very capable editor, one business manager, and an army of writers that keep it stocked full of valuable information for folks looking to better manage their homes.
It wasn’t always like that.
It started as a single-author blog, like so many do, written by a military wife homeschooling seven kids. If that wasn’t enough, in addition to The Happy Housewife, Toni does consulting for big brands in the areas of social media, outreach, and branding.
If you’re a blogger looking to grow your business and outsource some of the day to day, this is a must listen episode because we discuss how she built up and manages this infrastructure. If you’re on the flip side, looking to join a team, we discuss what and where she looks for talent.
What will you learn in this episode:
- How she started The Happy Housewife as a resource for military wives
- How she built the infrastructure such that she could leave for months and the site wouldn’t miss a beat
- How she finds, evaluates, and compensates staff writers, which were her first hires
- How she found, evaluated, and compensates her editor and her business manager
- How she’s the Queen of England
- How this infrastructure started from a conversation with J.D. Roth (our guest for Episode 1)
- How she has a graphic designer and two developers/tech support on retainer
- What she does to emphasize the team and gets buy-in from all of her staff
I hope you enjoyed our chat with Toni, I don’t think it’s a stretch to say she’s legitimately one of the busiest guests we’ve ever had on so it would mean a lot to me if you could show her how much you appreciated hearing her story. Please click to tweet @HappyHousewife and tell her how much you enjoyed hearing her story!
Resources and links mentioned in this chat:
- The Happy Housewife
- Digital CoLab – A conference for web professionals looking to grow their influence and income in the digital space.
- Find her on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
How to subscribe
There are two main ways – Stitcher and iTunes.
Simply click on this link and you’ll be taken to the page where you can subscribe.
Here’s the link to the Microblogger Podcast where you can subscribe to the Microblogger podcast via Stitcher.
Finally, if you aren’t using either service and prefer RSS, here’s our RSS feed.
Tell everyone you know that this is a great podcast… unless you think it sucks. Please tell me and I’ll try to make it better!
It would me a lot to me if you could leave me a review and a rating on iTunes, it makes a big difference and helps others find the show! To leave a review, click here and thanks so so much!
Latest posts by Jim (see all)
- How to Auto-Tweet Posts from an RSS Feed and Tag Someone - December 20, 2016
- How to Delete a Website from Google Analytics - December 9, 2015
- Don’t Use Public URL Shortening Links in Emails - June 12, 2015