MBP #19: The Brilliant Strategy Used to Lift Consumerism Commentary to 7-Figures
Luke Landes is most well known for building Consumerism Commentary, one of the grandfathers of personal finance blogs, into a business that was acquired for seven figures by Quinstreet in 2011.
What isn’t as obvious is that Luke raised the profile of Consumerism Commentary by being an active member of the community. In addition to nurturing new bloggers, he built several other sites that would raise his profile – an RSS aggregation site of personal finance blogs in pfblogs.org and an annual awards show in the Plutus Awards.
A lot of people look to his site’s age, it was started in 2003, as the reason for his success. I think that he gained a lot by giving so much of his time and talents to the community as a whole, it’s a model to study.
What will you learn in this episode:
- Learn about how (and why) Luke started Consumerism Commentary — in 2003
- How Luke tried to foster a nascent personal finance blogging community
- Why Luke built community building tools, like pfblogs.org and Plutus Awards
- Why he continues to innovate on a successful formula in the Plutus Awards
- How he structured the Plutus Awards (and continues to innovate)
- How he tried to monetize the two resources
Resources and links mentioned in this chat:
- Consumerism Commentary
- FINCON Conference
- pfblogs.org today (with curation) — Rockstar Finance
How to subscribe
There are two main ways – Stitcher and iTunes.
Simply click on this link and you’ll be taken to the page where you can subscribe.
Here’s the link to the Microblogger Podcast where you can subscribe to the Microblogger podcast via Stitcher.
Finally, if you aren’t using either service and prefer RSS, here’s our RSS feed.
Tell everyone you know that this is a great podcast… unless you think it sucks. Please tell me and I’ll try to make it better!
It would mean a lot to me if you could leave me a review and a rating on iTunes, it makes a big difference and helps others find the show! To leave a review, click here and thanks so so much!
Latest posts by Jim (see all)
- How to Auto-Tweet Posts from an RSS Feed and Tag Someone - December 20, 2016
- How to Delete a Website from Google Analytics - December 9, 2015
- Don’t Use Public URL Shortening Links in Emails - June 12, 2015