MBP #30: How Jaden Hair Built the Steamy Kitchen Empire (then scaled it back!)
One of the most important qualities of a successful entrepreneur is the ability to learn quickly and learn a lot. Tim Ferriss has often said that it doesn’t take a lifetime to master something, “based on my experience and research, it is possible to become world-class in almost any skill within one year.” (link)
Jaden Hair is the founder of Steamy Kitchen and one of the most well known “food bloggers” out there (I put quotes because at this point because that doesn’t come close to describing everything she does!) but she didn’t start off an expert at anything she’s successfully doing today. She enjoyed cooking, she enjoyed feeding people, and when combined with her ability to learn anything quickly, she’s been able to accomplish a tremendous amount.
What will you learn in this episode:
- The fun story behind why she started Steamy Kitchen
- How she went from “a place to put up recipes” to a business she loves
- How she created a dream board that would become her business plan and source of inspiration
- How she taught at a local small culinary school
- How she emulated her favorite TV personalities
- The most effective social media tool (it’s not what you think!)
- How Jaden scaled back her business to be more in line with what made her truly happy
- Her giveaway strategy (she does a LOT of giveaways!)
- How she gets her kids involved in her business (and a little bit about her chickens, multiple gardens)
- She talks about Food Blog Forum and the sweet deal they got from Disney (and how they don’t take a penny in profits, they go to scholarships and making the next event better)
- How she gets all this done! (and why she won’t do another cookbook!)
Resources and links mentioned in this chat:
- Steamy Kitchen
- The Steamy Kitchen Giveaway Page
- Food Blog Forum – a food blogging conference, founded by Jaden & Scott of Steamy Kitchen and Todd and Diane of White On Rice Couple, with the support of Julie from the Little Kitchen and Lindsay from Love & Olive Oil.
- Recipe Rehab – Fun behind the scenes story.
- Her cookbooks – Steamy Kitchen’s Healthy Asian Favorites: 100 Recipes That Are Fast, Fresh, and Simple Enough for Tonight’s Supper, Steamy Kitchen Cookbook: 101 Asian Recipes Simple Enough for Tonight’s Dinner, Easy Chinese Recipes: Family Favorites From Dim Sum to Kung Pao
How to subscribe
There are two main ways – Stitcher and iTunes.
Simply click on this link and you’ll be taken to the page where you can subscribe.
Here’s the link to the Microblogger Podcast where you can subscribe to the Microblogger podcast via Stitcher.
Finally, if you aren’t using either service and prefer RSS, here’s our RSS feed.
Tell everyone you know that this is a great podcast… unless you think it sucks. Please tell me and I’ll try to make it better!
It would mean a lot to me if you could leave me a review and a rating on iTunes, it makes a big difference and helps others find the show! To leave a review, click here and thanks so so much!
Latest posts by Jim (see all)
- How to Auto-Tweet Posts from an RSS Feed and Tag Someone - December 20, 2016
- How to Delete a Website from Google Analytics - December 9, 2015
- Don’t Use Public URL Shortening Links in Emails - June 12, 2015