MBP #31: Learn the Secrets of Million Mile Secrets with Daraius Dubash
Daraius Dubash was working for a big Fortune 500 manufacturing company, traveling the world and accruing airline miles and hotel points, when he left to go to business school. After business school, he began working for another company but he missed all those miles and points for free travel and stays and decided to figure out how it all worked (he’s accumulated FOUR MILLION miles and points).
Million Mile Secrets is the embodiment of all that learning and it’s now a business he works on full time (and has been for several years).
The tagline? “Big travel with small money.” (love it!)
Million Mile Secrets is the second largest miles and points blog and has an Alexa ranking in the mid-5,000’s. In other words, of the largest sites in the United States, it’s among the largest. At it’s peak, I think Bargaineering was in the 6,000-7,000’s, to give you a frame of reference. The site is big, it’s popular, and it supports Daraius full time for the last two years. It’s an amazing story and one I’m happy to share with you today!
What will you learn in this episode:
- Why he started Million Mile Secrets (and how he financed his first car with credit cards!)
- How he differentiated MMS from other points and mile blogs
- The two browser trick
- What is a mileage run (why others do it and why he never does them)
- Why he thinks MMS has been successful (very insightful)
- How he utilizes his email list of 16,000 subscribers
- We talk about the difficult times of the business
- How he’s brought on staff (where he finds writers) and the process he uses to manage them
- The double edged sword of being an entrepreneur
- His best million mile secret
- The most exotic place he’s been to
Resources and links mentioned in this chat:
- Beginner’s Guide to Miles & Points
- Credit Card Resources
- Toni Anderson Podcast Episode – How to Build a Rockstar Team to Run Your Blog
How to subscribe
There are two main ways – Stitcher and iTunes.
Simply click on this link and you’ll be taken to the page where you can subscribe.
Here’s the link to the Microblogger Podcast where you can subscribe to the Microblogger podcast via Stitcher.
Finally, if you aren’t using either service and prefer RSS, here’s our RSS feed.
Tell everyone you know that this is a great podcast… unless you think it sucks. Please tell me and I’ll try to make it better!
It would mean a lot to me if you could leave me a review and a rating on iTunes, it makes a big difference and helps others find the show! To leave a review, click here and thanks so so much!
Latest posts by Jim (see all)
- How to Auto-Tweet Posts from an RSS Feed and Tag Someone - December 20, 2016
- How to Delete a Website from Google Analytics - December 9, 2015
- Don’t Use Public URL Shortening Links in Emails - June 12, 2015