MBP #27: How Bob Lotich Married His Faith & His Finances to 55,000+ Subscribers
Everyone agrees that differentiation is crucial.
If you want to avoid being another face in the crowd, you have to stand out. This means you have to figure out what makes you different and showcase it to the world.
Sometimes that means you’ll have to do a little, or a lot, more work.
When Bob Lotich started ChristianPF, he was one of the first bloggers, certainly within the personal finance community, to put his faith front and center. You could argue that being “Christian” is very general but by simply putting it in the name of his site, he stood out.
By being “different,” it helped his blog grow… but it also came with a cost.
This was an issue that was touched on briefly in my chat with Jason Leake in MBP#8. With 100DaysofRealFood, Jason had to be diligent about what companies were advertising on a site that celebrated a life with zero processed foods. Bob was faced with the same issue and had a very clever way of solving it.
What will you learn in this episode:
- Why Bob started ChristianPF.com when he was dead broke and was at his lowest (to how it evolved to what it is today)
- The importance and value of differentiation, even if Bob didn’t approach it with that in mind
- How that differentiation may limit your business
- How he monitored ad networks so he didn’t show ads that were against his message
- The premium ad networks on ChristianPF
- How he started a financial adviser/planner directory…
- … and how a coaching service evolved out of that.
- Discusses the pressure of being a steward of the 55,000+ members of ChristianPF
- How he started writing books & ebooks/Kindle books
- How he finds staff/freelance writers that can write with the same message
- Learn the 1st and 2nd thing he’d tell himself on Day One (they’re both really really good but his #2 is not one a lot of people talk about)
Resources and links mentioned in this chat:
- Bob Lotich’s Author page on Amazon – including his newest book Pro-blogging Secrets (I got a sneak peek and it’s really good, a great companion to his first ebook on blogging available for free on BlogBusiness101.com)
How to subscribe
There are two main ways – Stitcher and iTunes.
Simply click on this link and you’ll be taken to the page where you can subscribe.
Here’s the link to the Microblogger Podcast where you can subscribe to the Microblogger podcast via Stitcher.
Finally, if you aren’t using either service and prefer RSS, here’s our RSS feed.
Tell everyone you know that this is a great podcast… unless you think it sucks. Please tell me and I’ll try to make it better!
It would mean a lot to me if you could leave me a review and a rating on iTunes, it makes a big difference and helps others find the show! To leave a review, click here and thanks so so much!
Latest posts by Jim (see all)
- How to Auto-Tweet Posts from an RSS Feed and Tag Someone - December 20, 2016
- How to Delete a Website from Google Analytics - December 9, 2015
- Don’t Use Public URL Shortening Links in Emails - June 12, 2015